Apan Vayu Mudra
Updated: Aug 7, 2019
The Apan Vayu Mudra is also called the Mrita Sanjeevani Mudra.This is a combination of two Mudras; Apan Mudra and Vayu Mudra. It is a very powerful Mudra and in ancient India it was considered to be a life saver in case of a heart attack. According to Ayurveda, any imbalance in the three “doshas” – Vata, Pitta and Kapha causes diseases. Apan Vayu Mudra restores balance in these three ‘doshas’. In the event of disturbance of the balance of Apana, the immediate effect will be observed on the excretory system. Apana mudra should be practiced for restoration of the balance. Apana Vayu Mudra is aimed at improving the function of Apana Vayu and its associated organs and its physiology. Apan Vayu Mudra stimulates and strengthens the circulatory system, digestive system, respiratory system, excretory system and the nervous system.
How to do this Mudra?
1. Sit comfortably with your spine straight.
2. Extend the arms forward, palms up.
3. Fold your index finger in towards the base of your thumb.
4. Cross your thumb over the index finger and touch the tip of the thumb to the tips of the middle AND ring fingers.
5. Keep little finger straight.
6. Keep elbows straight.
7. Soften the gaze or close your eyes, and practice 1:1 mindful, diaphragmatic breathing with the intention of healing.
8. This Mudra is done with both the hands; 15 min 3 times a day or 30-45 min in one sitting.
Benefits of Apan Vayu Mudra:
The Apan Vayu Mudra is supposed to be very beneficial for the heart and digestive system.
People with a history of cardiac ailments should practice this Mudra on a regular basis.
The benefits of the Apan Vayu Mudra also extend to those who suffer from gastric problems such as heartburn and indigestion, bloating and eructations as it helps improve digestive fire.
When air element increases in the body, it causes constriction of heart arteries; they become hard and narrow. Doing this Mudra helps relieve arteriosclerosis of the heart, and thus helps strengthen the heart muscles and remove blockages in arteries.
It helps normalize blood pressure in case of both high and low blood pressure.
In case of palpitations or weak pulse, this Mudra will normalize the pulse rate too.
It also reduces nervousness, as it quietens / calms the nervous system. It helps relieve anxiety, panic, grief, sadness and overwhelm. One gets balance of mind, self-confidence, patience, serenity and inner harmony.
It helps in relieving acidity, gas formation, eructation, bloating and gastric discomfort, belching, colic, constipation.
It is highly effective in respiratory diseases like asthma. This Mudra, by cleansing the circulatory system. It also helps improving the lungs function. So those who suffer from labored or difficult breathing while walking fast or climbing stairs can be helped if they practice this Mudra regularly.
Along with Pran Mudra it is also highly effective in migraine cases too.
Body and energy channels get purified. It is possible to achieve body rejuvenation.
By soothing the nervous system, it induces sleep and cures insomnia.
Important Points to note:
- In case of diarrhoea or cholera, if one is suffering from loose motions, this mudra should not be practised.
- Pregnant ladies should not perform this mudra before completing 8 months. After that a 10 minutes practice 3 to 4 times a day will ensure normal delivery.
- This Mudra is not practiced immediately after eating meals.