Updated: Aug 7, 2019
In Sanskrit, Apana means downward moving force. Apana Vaat governs the pelvic region of your body.The pelvic region refers to the lower abdomen of the body. It contains digestive and reproductive organs.
Apana Vayu is the second of the five Pranas and is primarily responsible for elimination. It controls organs situated between the naval and the perineum including, small and large intestine, kidneys, urinary system and reproductive systems. Elimination of waste as faeces, gas and urine is done by Apana Vayu. Also, ejaculation of sperm, Monthly menstrual cycle for women and expulsion of foetus during childbirth is done by Apana Vayu. Apana Vayu flows downwards and stimulates the downward movement of the wastes.
This Mudra is useful for balancing the Aakash (Ether) and Prithvi (earth) elements within the body.
How to do this Mudra?
1. Sit in any comfortable position.
2. Bring your hands in front of you and bend the middle and ring finger and thumb so that their tips touch each other. (Refer the pic)
3. Your index and little finger should be pointing straight. While in apana mudra, the hands can rest on the sides or just rest them on the lap.
4. Apaan Mudra is usually performed with both hands. The Mudra should be held for at least 30 minutes.
5. Breathe normally and try to observe the inhalation and exhalation process. For best results, it should be practiced in the sitting posture in the Vajrasana pose because Vajrasana itself aids in digestion by increasing the flow of blood to the pelvis.
Benefits for Apan Mudra:
One of the most important benefits of the Apan mudra is it helps remove toxins from the body, purify the body and strengthens each of pelvic organ.
It can help to regulate urine flow, helps relieve anuria.
Can prevent vomiting because it regulates digestion and helps the digestive system to relax.
Helps the body to cleanse toxins.
Helps treat menstrual problems.
It is also said to be useful during childbirth in case there is a delay in child birth.
Helps with eyes, mouth, ears and nose problems.
Apana Mudra improves digestion and helps clear the skin. It can help you to feel grounded and process difficult emotions.
It helps keep the blood pressure normal.
It reduces gastric problems and helps regulate the acidity.
It helps maintain the normal body temperature.
Precautions for Apan Mudra practice: • As Apana Mudra generates a strong downward pulling force in the body, it should not be performed by pregnant women during the initial 8 months of the pregnancy as it can cause miscarriage. During the 9th month, it can actually help in smooth and easy childbirth. • People suffering from diarrhea, dysentery,
Cholera and colitis should not practice Apana Mudra • Don’t practice Apana Mudra immediately after the meals. Practice it at least 2 hours after a heavy meal.